Can One Parent Relocate With the Kids?

If you have a Utah divorce and you are the custodial parent and you want to move with the children, you must comply with the provisions of Utah Code Ann. 30-3-37, and provide notice to the other parent more than 60 days prior to your relocation.

In Utah, Courts follow a “best interest” standard. This means that the Court looks to various factors to determine whether such a move would be in the best interest of the children. Check with an attorney to go over the individual factors and whether those factors weigh in favor of relocation.

If you are not the primary custodial parent and the other parent has notified you of an impending move, you can request that the Court undergo a best interest analysis to determine if a move is in the children’s best interest. You should consult with an attorney to go over your rights in this situation.

Samuel J. Sorensen